2/06/2013

Sew for victory! 1940s sewalong and I am in!!!

Rochelle from Lucky Lucille has called the united vintage sewing world to do their bit for the sewing community and their wardrobe and take part in this awesome sewing challenge.

http://luckylucille.com/2013/02/sew-for-victory-a-40s-sewalong/
 
As a dutiful sewing blogger, I decided to take part. Especially after browsing around for inspiration. I love the 1940s fashions. Most dresses have wonderful pleating details, interesting dart shaping and small but effective embellishments that make the pieces pop and best of all they require very little fabric. As much as I like the big full dresses and skirts of the 1950s as well as the lush evening wear of that time, the 1940s really are my favourite era.
I haven't set my mind yet on what I am going to make exactly but it'll probably be a dress of some sort and I will have to draft the pattern myself. I hope it all goes to plan.
I will leave you with some inspiration. I cant wait to see everyone's prioject(s)
 
 


 
 
 
All images taken from the 1943 Bella Hess catalogue (Thanks Rochelle for the link!!!)

12 comments:

  1. Cool, I'm in too! And I want to draft my own pattern as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awsome! Can't wait to see what you are making.

      Delete
  2. OOOOooo! This is tempting. I'm going to have to consider whether I can commit. I'm loving your inspiration photos. They're incredible. I have no doubt whatever you make will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I know there is soooo much awsome inspiration out there. I'd love to sew them all just as they are.

      Delete
  3. I'm in, too! I especially love the fist dress. The red fabric really makes it look special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's perfect for the dress, isn't it? I like how it comliments the lines in the design.

      Delete
  4. I wish we could still get a dress for under $4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Even just all the materials for that price would be awesome.

      Delete
  5. Whatever you will choose, I'm sure it'll be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!! So happy to have you on board. Isn't that catalog amazing?! I'm glad you love it like it do :) Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Rochelle, for hosting this challenge. It's such a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete