2/06/2011

Navy lace dress as part of the Spring challenge finished

I actually wanted to wait with posting my Spring challenge collection until all pieces are finished but then I though, what else can I blog about if it's not about sewing? Plus this way it's not a complete overload of finished projects all at once.
I have a few pieces finished already, so I will show them individually. As mentioned in my Spring Challenge post, I am in love with lace dresses and needed to have one. My inspiration dresses were all cream/ ivory, a colour I don't really wear (it doesn't suit me being a pale red head) plus my Spring palette is all nautical colours. So I went for navy and found some nice lace in one of my local fabric shops last week.
Close up of the navy lace. I stitched all lace pieces to the lining (navy cotton) pieces first.
Bodice (work in progress) 
 Finished product. I also made a sash to go with it. I still had this ribbon at home and some really nice ribbon corsage trim I bought a while ago. I cut up the trim into individual pieces and arranged them on the ribbon. I added a few other notions and stitched it all together. Tadaaa, looking nice and vintage-y to me, just how I like it.
close up of the sash 
 side view
 I didn't line the sleeves to show the lace off a bit better and to add detail.

 Fullness of the circle skirt. I am thinking about making a petticoat for this one once I have made all my Spring challenge pieces. I have never made a petticoat. I think it's quite easy but I am not keen on faffing about gathering all the net/tulle. Not a favourite material of mine.
I drafted the pattern myself. Fitted bodice and circle skirt. I didn't line it because I didn't want the bodice to be too bulky. I only overlocked all seam allowances.
I'll be wearing that dress tomorrow. I am off to Londonedge at Olympia, London tomorrow to check out some alternative fashions etc. I am not sure if I get to take pictures at the fair but I'll get you an action shot of the dress.
Hope you all had a nice weekend and got some sewing done.

17 comments:

  1. It's so pretty, I love the color and the contrasting belt/ sash! Can't wait to see some photos of it in action :)
    I need to have a go at a lace dress, as I love it. The next issue of Sew magazine has a lace dress pattern so will probably try then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dress! This is a timely post for me, as I've been thinking about making a lace dress and all the challenges that would involve - this is inspiring and helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes ladies make more lace dresses!!!!! I want to see them. When I bought the navy lace I also picked up some black lace. Couldn't have one and leave the other. So there is one more coming soon (I hope) I haven't started on it yet. It wasn't a difficult material to work with at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEAUTIFUL! I love the bodice so much! What a great spring dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fabulous Bea. That sash is inspired, it really is!
    Px

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! and the belt that is so unique and feminine. Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is bee-yoo-tiful! I love that you left the sleeve caps unlined, can't wait to see the rest of your spring palette challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful, this is really to my taste in every way! And your sash is incredible...looks like it took ages to make!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful! I wish I could sew something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All I can say is WOW! Beautiful work. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's gorgeous, I love everything about it! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I Love it! The colour makes the lace not too girly, and the cut is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this post, the dress is lovely and as a newbie to sewing I've been wondering how I would go about making a lovely lace dress and this has given me some more ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is gorgeous. I really want to make a lace dress now, and that belt. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this dress is beautiful - the colour, shape, fabric and the sash is amazing. As someone who has only just started sewing, I can't even imagine being able to make a dress like this. Love it.

    ReplyDelete