10/08/2010

A little treat

I was ill in bed almost all week with a very mean cold that is just about to finally leave my body. I am not good with lying in bed all day so I had to do something that requires as little energy as possible but at the same time makes me feel like I have at least achieved something.
So I decided to bake. The great thing is, that I get to eat the cake afterwards. Especially when you are ill a bit of cake is some good medicine. I very much recommend it.
I made some one of my favourite recipes and thought I should share it with you. It's a recipe for pineapple carrot muffins. They are very moist and full of pineapple, carrots, raisins and nuts which are all things good for you. They make you feel at least a bit like you've eaten something semi healthy that is cake.
Ingredients:
1cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flower (I use whole wheat flower only but this is the original recipe, where you combine the two)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup oil
1 8oz can crushed pineapple in unsweetened juice undrained
1 egg
1cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Mix all ingredients together. I tend to mix the dry ingredients and the wet ones separately first and then add the flour mixture bit by bit to the moisture.
Fill mixture into your muffin molds (I made half the mixture into muffins and poured the other half into a cake pan. I haven't got enough muffin moulds for all the mixture. It makes roughly 16 muffins.
Bake at 200 C for about 20-22 minutes. Allow to cool and then ice with either white chocolate icing which is what I did this time or you can make a cream cheese icing which is lovely too. For the cream cheese icing mix cream cheese (full fat or reduces is up to you with lemon juice and icing sugar to taste, then spread on muffins.
And then voila!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment