7/12/2010

New dress

I hope everyone had a great weekend. I certainly did. My husband and I decided to go up to Leicestershire to visit his family this weekend. I love going up there. We always have a great time and since we will be going over to Germany twice within the next few weeks it's only fair to see his family as well.
I spend the whole weekend in nothing but self made clothes, which was great. All accessories were either gifts, thrifted, won on ebay or vintage. How very green of me. Unfortunately I left the camera at home so I haven't got may pictures to show.
After we got back home I asked Dave to take a picture of me wearing one of my new dresses I haven't blogged about yet. This one is sewn from one of my recent ebay wins. I decided to make version 2 (the green one) from the first pattern shown. I prefer version number 1 but didn't have any contrasting fabric I liked to go with the red and white and impatient as I am had to just sew this dress. I shortened it by about 5" and I also had to add about 1" to the waist.
I love the fullness of the skirt and will make this again with the ties. I still have navy spotty print which I am planing to use.
Proof of twirlyness!!!
I hope you like it.

19 comments:

  1. This dress is so cute on you. It fits you very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the twirlyness!

    And really, doesn't anything look better in red polka-dots?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute dress! Great twirl-photo ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nothing beats a good twirl picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the dropped waist! So flattering. Great job all 'round. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the combination of red and white, beautiful wheel of the skirt, it´s very steamy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely dress; it's a great fit and that waistline gives it a great twist. Well done and it looks as if you're having fun with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ive just come over from Sew Retro and seen your dress. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi!
    sorry I can not good english.
    I am a Russian, who lives in Germany and loved and vintage sewing.
    may I appeal to you in German then?
    ich habe eine Frage an dich. wie kommt es, dass Du vintage-infiziert bist:-)? ich sehe kaum Interesse im deutschsprachigen Raum.liegt es daran, dass Du in England lebst und sie sich mehr der Vintage-mode widmen?
    LG
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  10. I forgot to ask ...
    Did you have to modify much so that it fits well or did it fit well?

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all your lovely comments, it really means a lot and inspires me to create more.
    Liebe Julia, ich hatte schon immer Interesse an der ersten Hälfte der 20.Jahrhunderts, wahrscheinlich liegt es daran, dass mein größtes Idol meine liebe Omi war/ist. Ich war immer ganz begeistert von ihren Geschichten und alten Fotos, außerdem mochte ich schon immer alte Filme. So hat das wahrscheinlich angefangen. Ich glaube schon, dass es in Deutschland Interesse an Vintage gibt, es ist wahrscheinlich nicht so einfach zu finden. Ich habe einige Freunde, die man als Rockabilly oder Psychobilly bezeichnen könnte.
    Ich muss allerdings zugeben, dass es hier mehr verbreitet ist und ich bislang in fast jeder Stadt einen mehr oder weniger Vintage shop gefunden habe.
    Liebe Grüße

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to change a few things. I usually have to add a bit extra to the waist. I try to get patterns in my bust size and then alter the waist. I also shorten most of the patterns to about knee length or just below the knee. I can usually get away with these two adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so lovely. That colour looks stunning on you. Really nice, I love this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful dress! The colour looks great on you. Wonderful fit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely job! The dress looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it!!! I just made a polka dot red dress....oh so wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really love the boat neck, and there is nothing better than a skirt that has great twirl potential!

    ReplyDelete